Re: [gnugo-devel] Bug 152

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Bug 152
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:20:00 +0100

Joseph Piche wrote:
Notice that this patch removes support for using ncurses to provide
color capabilities (for colored debug displays) and leaves that to using
  ANSI color escape codes. It would be nice to get rid of a dependency
but I'm afraid the use of ncurses was introduced for a reason. Can
anybody remember why ncurses was needed, or did it just precede the
introduction of ANSI color escape codes?

I don't see any other code that currently relies on ncurses. But since
you were hesitant to remove the dependancy, I broke down and finally
learned how ncurses and terminfo works. So, there is better patch at

http://trac.gnugo.org/gnugo/attachment/ticket/152/fix-terminfo.patch

Good work, that's what I call a proper solution. I've added the patch to CVS now and your name to the THANKS file.

And after finally studying it, ncurses probably is the way to go,
since it will work on odd terminals that use strange color codes.

Ok.

/Gunnar