Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: About the Gnugo API

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: About the Gnugo API
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:45:21 +0200

Jorge Timón wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I'm reading the GTP commands and this what i need. I'm reading some
> example scripts but i don't know perl or python. Can anyone send me i
> little exmple in shell script (or php) about how to run gnugo in gtp
> mode and how to send (and receive the answers) commands? Maybe an
> example in C? I'd need sockets for this case.
> I have another question.

If you just start up GNU Go in GTP mode,

gnugo --mode gtp

you can send commands interactively to find out how the communication
works. For setting up socket communication I can only refer to the
documentation for your programming language.

> I want to construct a tree with some future moves. I'll use all_legal
> command. Then...some options:
>
> 1 *trymove* and *popgo* for my computer's movements and *reg_genmove*,
> *trymove* and *popgo* for the GNUgo's movements
>
> 2 *trymove* and *popgo* for my computer's movements and *genmove* and
> *undo* for the GNUgo's movements
>
> 3 *move* and *undo* for my computer's movements and *genmove* and *undo*
> for the GNUgo's movements (in this case, how many movements are in a
> move history too short?)

Forget about trymove and popgo unless you're trying to debug or
improve GNU Go's local searches (tactical reading, connection reading,
and similar). Use play, genmove, and undo (or clear_board + play) in
GTP mode. Use play_move() and undo_move() in the board library.

/Gunnar