Re: [gnugo-devel] Doc revision

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Doc revision
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:31:35 +0100

Dan wrote:
>> The Macintosh installation info is real skimpy; I'll see if I can put
>> something together this weekend. Will the OS X-specific patch be part
>> of the 3.8 release?
>
> Gunnar had some criticisms of it, but this has to be fixed.
>
> I think it will go in if noone figures out a better way.
>
> I think it is a bug in the apple compiler that it doesn't
> see globals.c even though it's in libengine. The solution
> (needed for mkmcpat) thus feels a little redundant.

As I've understood it this kind of problem is caused by the fine
details of how the linkers work. Basically they process one library at
a time but only pick up the symbols they need just then. If a later
library introduces a dependency on something in an earlier library
that wasn't already picked up it won't revisit that library
automatically. That's why extract_fuseki has duplicate libraries
listed in LD_ADD. Presumably the same trick should work for
mkmcpat. Try to add another copy of libengine.a at the end of the
mkmcpat_LDADD line instead of adding globals.c as a source file. I'm
not sure whether it's a technically better solution but it would at
least be more consistent.

What I don't understand is why the OS X linker is more picky with this
than the GNU linker.

/Gunnar