Re: [gnugo-devel] Doc revision

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Doc revision
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:29:28 +0100

Dan wrote:
> Gunnar wrote:
>
>> automatically. That's why extract_fuseki has duplicate libraries
>> listed in LD_ADD. Presumably the same trick should work for
>> mkmcpat. Try to add another copy of libengine.a at the end of the
>> mkmcpat_LDADD line instead of adding globals.c as a source file. I'm
>> not sure whether it's a technically better solution but it would at
>> least be more consistent.
>
> This doesn't seem to work assuming I carried out your suggestion
> correctly. (Patch at end.)

Yes, that was the kind of change I was thinking of.

> With i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
> I get the same error message as with gnugo-3.7.12:
>
> gcc  -g -O2   -o mkmcpat  mkmcpat.o ../engine/libengine.a ../sgf/libsgf.a
> ../utils/libutils.a ../engine/libengine.a -lncurses
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_potential_moves", referenced from:
>       _potential_moves$non_lazy_ptr in libengine.a(montecarlo.o)
> ld: symbol(s) not found

Weird. We only have "potential_moves" in the source. The leading
underscore and the "$non_lazy_ptr" suffix is something the compiler
has invented itself. What does it try to achieve and why does that
mess up a build that at least works with gcc? Does anybody know what's
going on here and are we doing something wrong that gcc happens to be
forgiving about?

/Gunnar