[gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server

From: Giudici Raphaël
Subject: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:53:35 +0100

Hi,

I contacted the FSF to talk about the possible creation of an open
source real time Go server backed up by the FSF. According to John
Sullivan, they are interested by such project and advised me to get in
touch with your team.

As you probably know, there are 4 (not counting yahoo games etc ... )
real time Go server available on internet : Tygem, CyberOro, IGS and
KGS. Two of them are Asia operated, IGS and KGS are both free of
charge but not open source. KGS seems to be the more popular at the
moment due to the way people can create "open games" and the great
teaching tools.

At first I tried to get in touch with the dev person behind KGS to
discuss possible modifications to make kgs usable by near blind
people, but he refuses to talk about opening the client, the protocol
or the server. I wanted to avoid starting a new server from scratch (
with the huge chances to not get anywhere ), but it looks like there
is no way to discuss with him.

I guess some members of your team are regular on those online Go
servers. And maybe already though about such project. I do believe
there is room for improvement and an open source alternative : A
documented, open protocol and a server project.

I would like to know if your team is interested, have some ideas, or
know other person that would be.

I am not a coding person myself, I do work in IT, but know nothing
about code and my hobby is drawing ... Though, I would obviously help
at all the other levels, get in touch with people, test, write
documentation, translate, host and manage ... and so on.

Best regards,

PS : Gnu GO gives me a hard time at my lunch break every day ... ;D

--
Raphaël Giudici
phone : +33 (0)6 32 56 14 85