Re: [computer-go] Fwd: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go ser

From: Stuart A. Yeates
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Fwd: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:16:22 +1300

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Petr Baudis <address@hidden> wrote:
>  (i) IGS is derivation of NNGS, which is free software (GPLv2)! It has
> even seen some slight development in past few years.

As tempting as it is, I find it unlikely that incremental improvements
on the current crop of servers / server protocols is likely to attract
a critical mass of developers.

Far more interesting (from my point of view) would be to throw out the
current protocol approach and build a new protocol based on Jabber /
XMPP / Google Wave (which are essentially the same thing). The beauty
of this approach is that it outsources several issues that the current
approach struggles with (i18n, security, timing, authentication,
account maintenance, etc) to groups who appear to know what they're
doing.

Of course, developing for such a platform would be significantly more
complex, but with such a protocol you can even imagine disaggregating
the server into constituent parts based roles in a traditional
tournament: game-organiser / match-maker; time keeper; adjudicator;
record-keeper; etc.

cheers
stuart