Re: [gnugo-devel] I would like to help.

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] I would like to help.
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:05:39 +0100

David Levesque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is David, I am currently finishing my second year in
> software engineering in Montreal, Canada. I am studying at École
> Polytechnique de Montréal, if this means anything to the reader.
>
> I have been playing Go for many years now, and been fascinated with
> computer go for at least as long. I'd like to participate on the Gnu
> Go project, if there is a way I could be useful.
> [...]

Hi Mark and David,

You are both very welcome to contribute to GNU Go. The development has
been rather slow in the last few years, with limited or no time
available from most of the key developers (which has also reflected in
slow or missing responses on this mailing list). A new inflow of
people and ideas may change this.

It is good that you have looked at the TODO list for tasks. What is
less good is that the list is way outdated and should have been
revised years ago. I attach a proposal for a new list which I hope can
give inspiration for tasks with a higher impact on GNU Go. However,
don't let that stop you if you want to do something else that you find
more interesting. After all, the point of contributing to this kind of
project is that it's fun and stimulating.

/Gunnar
                     GNU Go Task List

You can help make GNU Go the best Go program.

This is a task-list for anyone who is interested in helping with GNU
Go. If you want to work on such a project you should correspond with
us until we reach a common vision of how the feature will work!

A note about copyright. Before any code can be accepted as a part of
the official release of GNU Go, the Free Software Foundation will want
you to sign a copyright disclaimer. Of course you can work on a forked
version without signing such a disclaimer. If you want your changes to
the program to be incorporated into the version we distribute we need
such a disclaimer. Please contact the GNU Go maintainers, Daniel Bump
(address@hidden) and Gunnar Farneback
(address@hidden), to get more information and the papers to
sign.

Below is a list of things YOU could work on. We are already working on
some of these tasks, but don't let that stop you. Please contact us or
the person assigned to task for further discussion.

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// General
//--------------------------------------------------------------

 * If you can, send us bug FIXES as well as bug reports. If you see
   some bad behavior, figure out what causes it, and what to do about
   fixing it. And send us a patch! If you find an interesting bug and
   cannot tell us how to fix it, we would be happy to have you tell us
   about it anyway. Send us the sgf file (if possible) and attach
   other relevant information, such as the GNU Go version number. In
   cases of assertion failures and segmentation faults we probably
   want to know what operating system and compiler you were using, in
   order to determine if the problem is platform dependent.

 * Extend the regression test suites.
   See the texinfo manual in the doc directory for a description of
   how to do this. In particular it would be useful with test suites
   for common life and death problems. Currently second line groups, L
   groups and the tripod shape are reasonably well covered, but there
   is for example almost nothing on comb formations, carpenter's
   square, and so on. Other areas where test suites would be most
   welcome are fuseki, tesuji, and endgame.

 * Tuning the pattern databases. These are under constant revision.
   Tuning them is a sort of art. It is not necessary to do any
   programming to do this since most of the patterns do not require
   helpers. We would like it if a few more Dan level players would
   learn this skill.

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Monte Carlo
//--------------------------------------------------------------

The main strength of recent computer go programs is coming from Monte
Carlo simulation techniques. GNU Go has an implementation of UCT
search but it is behind state of the art and in particular scales very
badly to 19x19.

 * Implement RAVE (Rapid Action Value Estimation). [Medium difficulty]

 * Implement progressive widening. [Easy to implement, proving that it
   improves strength might be harder.]

 * Reuse and prune the UCT search tree between moves. [Medium
   difficulty]

 * Implement other improvements that have been discussed on the
   Computer Go mailing list.

 * Tune the 3x3 pattern databases better. [Tuning is easy but doing it
   well probably quite difficult.]

 * Find a way to analyze the effectiveness of the random simulation
   policy. It is in general very difficult to understand how the
   details of the random simulations affect the strength of the UCT
   search so anything that adds insight into this would be most
   welcome. [Extremely difficult]

 * Implement life and death reading with Monte Carlo simulations for
   unclear leaf nodes. The life and death reading in owl.c tends to be
   very uninformative when it runs out of nodes. [Difficult]

 * Make the Monte Carlo search and/or simulations take advantage of
   the tactical/connection/owl/semeai reading results. [Extremely
   difficult]

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Multithreading
//--------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the internal structures of GNU Go were developed in a time
when computers generally were singlethreaded. This means lots of
global data structures and in particular a global board implementation
which would be very hard to adapt for multiple threads. However,
additional computational power is most worthwhile in the Monte Carlo
code, which has its own board code and data structures which were
designed with multithreading in mind.

 * Make the Monte Carlo code multithreaded. [Difficult]

 * Make the GTP event loop multithreaded. [Medium difficulty]

 * Implement pondering (thinking on the opponent's time) for the Monte
   Carlo code. This requires at least that reuse of UCT search trees
   has been implemented and one of items above. [Medium difficulty]

 * Make other interfaces than GTP also use the GTP event loop. The
   purpose of this would be to gain the benefits of multithreading
   also for other interfaces without having to reimplement it for each
   of them. [Difficult]

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Utilities
//--------------------------------------------------------------

 * Improve tuning/development GUI. Today regression/view.pike provides
   support for viewing some of the analysis going on inside the engine
   but it is far from complete and also has a troublesome dependency
   on GTK1. It would in particular be valuable to have a GUI which
   could be used to inspect the UCT search tree and other details of
   the Monte Carlo code. [Varying difficulty depending on ambition.]

 * Infrastructure for evaluating Monte Carlo experiments. It takes
   much time to evaluate changes in the Monte Carlo code. Usually
   hundreds of games have to be run, preferrably against multiple
   opponents, to gather sufficient statistics to determine the value
   of the change.  This is both time consuming and bothersome to
   organize for each developer. Thus it would help to have an
   infrastructure that could organize the games and present the
   results, and ideally also distribute the games to multiple
   computers. [Big and difficult.]

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Other
//--------------------------------------------------------------

 * Implement a proof number search version of tactical reading. The
   current tactical reading does a fairly good job but it would be
   interesting to see how an algorithm based on proof number search or
   one of its variations would do. This could potentially also tie in
   to the task of taking advantage of tactical reading for Monte Carlo
   search. [Medium difficulty]

 * Write a script which plays through the joseki databases and checks
   that the engine really generates a joseki move for all positions in
   the databases. This would also be interesting to run with the
   --nojosekidb option. [Easy]

 * Improve the heuristics for assessment of the safety of a
   group. This should probably involve some kind of Monte Carlo
   analysis. [Difficult]

 * Support for ko in eyes.db and optics.c. [Difficult]

 * Create a paradigm for handling other types of ko (approach move ko,
   multi-step ko, etc) and then write code that handles them. [Very
   difficult]

 * Reimplement patterns/mkpat.c. This code is quite messy after a long
   time of evolutionary development and would benefit from a clean
   redesign. [Medium difficulty but rather big.]