Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:59:46 +1100

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:26, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > IMHO we should separate this from installation process and create the
> > backend structure only after package installation has been completed
> > (after postinst), allowing for user interaction.
>
> Andreas will bite your head off, ha !
>
> As for me, I am fine with this.

Suggestion:
- the "bootstrap" sets up a blank monolithic database structure and fills it
with basic data (postcodes, drug reference, etc.)
- the package installation for the server just does the bootstrap. No need for
password storage: whoever wants to configure the backend, needs to be good
old root (in order to su to postgres, that is).
- the package installation for the client installs - well, the client

The first time a client is started, you have to enter backend information. The
client then checks whether the backend has already been configured. If not,
configuration dialog is presented.

The configuration dialog then offers to
- set up new users, groups, and related permissions
- optionally distribute databases
- configure all other options
- download & configure updates

In short, configuration and password trouble is postponed until the client
tries to connect to the backend for the first time

Horst