Re: [Gnumed-devel] Qt licensing issues for GNUmed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Qt licensing issues for GNUmed
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:10:46 -0600

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:36:42AM +1200, Les Ferguson wrote:

> Note: I have still not gotten up to speed with anything on Linux that enables
> me to develop working solutions as fast as I could in Visual Basic, but QT
> would be my first choice for rapid UI development on Linux.  Other gui

There's Kylix, or Delphi for Linux. It's proprietary, but allows "free"
applications to be developed without cost.

I've been looking at PyGTK and support for it in Glade, a user-interface
builder for GTK. Supports Windows, Linux and a variety of other platforms,
and there are no Qt-like licensing issues to deal with. GTK is licensed
under the LGPL.

> designers and libraries are still worth investigating, and I am still
> contemplating going with Java as the best cross-platform solution.  Has
> anybody found specific problems with wx, using either wxPython or C++ ?

My experience with Java has been that it makes things more complex, heavy
than they need to be. Take a look at what the BitKeeper guys, who were
building user utilities for their software configuration management
product. Java would not scale pass parsing a couple hundred (or so)
directories before the JVM would be using all of the machine's memory.

They re-implemented everything in Tcl/Tk, which easily let them parse
through thousands of directories.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +