Re: [Gnumed-devel] Proposed forms system

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Proposed forms system
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:52:48 +1100

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:59:19 +0100
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> > This is a putative forms/letters system for gnumed, based on LaTeX
> Ian, I like this a lot.
>
> Let's collect a few more ideas:
>
> - have a table in GnuMed that defines which LaTeX form to use in
>   which situation, this will handle some of the i18n issues

I was thinking of a set naming scheme viz.
$GNUMED_BASE_DIR/templates/$LOCALE/$DISCIPLINE.$VERSION.tex
so /au/script.1..tex is the AU PBS  script, /de/Physiotherapie.1.tex is the form
for a german physio referral. If a discipline does not have a form, a
'default form" is used (in AU, we only need the default form of course)

> - store the result of substitution/inclusion/pasting of data,
>   TeX snippets etc as a TeX file that can be run through a
>   standard LaTeX to reproduce the exact form with content
>   (this is good for history keeping but sucks for re-use of form
>   content - shall we store a combination of data values + form
>   template with mapping instead ?)

Templates should be versioned, then all we need to store is
the parameters dictionary and the form name and version.
Storing as the dictionary (rather than the generated preamble of TeX \def{}
commands)
makes it easier for intelligent searching in the  forms history.

> - eventually support GnuMedlets - those are snippets of GnuMed
>   Python code inside the LaTex GnuMed form template that call
>   up specific functionality within the calling GnuMed instance
>   (say, a lab data browser/selector), LaTeX.py would have a
>   function deGnuMedletize()

Perhaps further still: forms entirely in Python for electronic communications
using high-level convience classes for sending encrypted e-mails (the Python
libraries
make this quite easy)

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E