Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:54:52 -0700

On May 19, 2004, at 7:50 PM, Horst Herb wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:50, Ian Haywood wrote:
I am now keen to switch this to LDAP, becuase of the advantages outlined, and it also allows us to use existing LDAP editors, instead of having to write our own contatcs editor (but of course we *can*, in the fullness of
time)

I am keen on LDAP too. Drawbacks are...
... but the advantages are huge...

I remember we had discussed this before. I would now vote to implement the gnumed demographic service based on LDAP. All we would need to do is agree on
a standard way to tag a unique gnumed person identifier onto every LDAP
entry.
Horst

I had asked about the consequences of the LDAP being down, or else having dropped from its registry a practitioner to whom the patient had in the past been referred. It would be helpful to maintain locally cached (stored in gnumed?) data so that when there is next a need to contact that individual, and LDAP is down, it will still likely be possible to do it from the local cache. Karsten made suggestions how this might be achieved.

I wonder if there is agreement that the proposed functionality should be incorporated, These were the postings:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-03/msg00170.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-03/msg00178.html

I also wonder, in the case where a doctor's credentials are required to access some external resource like an LDAP, how that will be handled. I imagine that when a credentialed doctor is the individual logged into gnumed, their credential(s) could be passed through automatically but I am less sure how secretarial access would be managed. Would they need to be authorized as the proxy for whichever doctor it is whose patient is the basis for the access to the LDAP (impractical)? Also what about cron or other automated or batch functions - would it be an arbitrary selection from among the credentialed doctors that achieves the access?