Re: [Gnumed-devel] (Another) Install of GnuMed (this time on Debian "Sar

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (Another) Install of GnuMed (this time on Debian "Sarge")
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:52:47 -0700

On Jun 14, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Michael Bonert wrote:

Installation aside, it would be wonderful if the manuals
went Wiki.

The current "draft" manuals, which however cannot be directly edited, are referenced at:
http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/DocumentationMain

I suspect Hilmar or Ian have periodically made edits to "source" text that they maintain elsewhere, in SGML.

I have not yet seen offered any detailed plan for how to transition this. A cut and paste of each of the sections would be tedious, but possible. I don't think the wiki can easily render in the same way as the html in the draft manuals, for example two levels of nested numbering (e.g. 4.2) or the blocks of shaded text, though I am not saying we need it, we would just have to agree if it is worth giving up.

Part of the existing manuals' content (source code commenting, also communicating the PG table layouts) we can automate. It may not be feasible to host the output directly into the wiki, but we can link the output. I have not heard from Tony Lembke in some time, I am not sure if he is upset with me over some ideas I had sent him privately or maybe, like many, he is just REALLY busy. Assuming Tony cannot easily, within the next month or two, implement the epydoc and PG autodoc to-dos at http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/WebsiteTODO, he might be content if someone who might like to do it would step forward. AFAIK only Tony has more than simple web editing access to gnumed.org so either his help would still be needed to host epydoc and PG autodoc there, or these would have to be hosted elsewhere (hherb.com?)