Re: [Gnumed-devel] (Another) Install of GnuMed (this time on Debian "Sar

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (Another) Install of GnuMed (this time on Debian "Sarge")
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:46:16 +0200 (MEST)

> On Jun 14, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Michael Bonert wrote:
>
> > Installation aside, it would be wonderful if the manuals
> > went Wiki.
>
> The current "draft" manuals, which however cannot be directly edited,
> are referenced at:
> http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/DocumentationMain
>
> I suspect Hilmar or Ian have periodically made edits to "source" text
> that they maintain elsewhere, in SGML.
Yes, that's what we did. The source is in the CVS under
client/doc/user-manual/user-manual.sgml. To translate it to HTML or some
other format you will need jade and the docbook packages. I can send you the
scripts and a package list if you want to try it. It's always been somewhat
tricky to set up, though.

> I have not yet seen offered any detailed plan for how to transition
> this. A cut and paste of each of the sections would be tedious, but
> possible. I don't think the wiki can easily render in the same way as
> the html in the draft manuals, for example two levels of nested
> numbering (e.g. 4.2) or the blocks of shaded text, though I am not
> saying we need it, we would just have to agree if it is worth giving
> up.
If the installation instructions are one of the parts that are changing more
rapidly now, you could just do a textual copy of the chapters on
installation in the user manual. The blocks of shaded text might be emulated
by some direct HTML code in the wiki page (don't know if this is possible).

The docbook-wiki project looks promising, but is in alpha state now, so it
might take some time to get it to work in a production environment.

Hilmar

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl