Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:54:09 +0200

> Now I feel REALLY BAD! and It's sunday and I've come to work specially to
> pick
> up the gnuMEd mail!
Sorry for that.

> Not true. I just don't think the design of the current GUI with its
> multi-layered tabs is functional, but is very confusing.
It is certainly fine to strive for better designs. It's
equally fine, however, and important, too, to eventually get
something *done* even if that means not yet going for the nice
wxPython 2.5 or putting up with a not-so-perfect 0.1 UI
concept.

> > I have accepted that the current demographics editor is what
> > we'll have for entering AND changing patients. So be it.
> >
> > Am I correct that there needs to be a "clear fields" and a
> > "save data" button on the toolbar for the editor ?
>
> Clear fields only takes place on either:
OK, I would have labelled "add patient" as "clear fields" but
it's much better to have an implicit clear_fields from add_patient
rather than the other way round.

> the add new patient on the popup menu - you can use the popup menu for now
> until I do the toolbar hopefully next week.
Ah ! Didn't think of that :-)

> > > 1) The add patient button is clicked
> > Where do I find this button ?'
> > > 3) The user the clicks on the save button
> > Where is this button intended to be at ?
> See above - I'll have to re-do a toolbar
Got it.

> > Uhm, uh, I thought one of your design principles was to aid
> > the memory-impaired in remembering which patient they are
> > dealing with in a given client instance ?
> Yes, but not in this format. Personally I prefer a stand alone client to do
> things like administering the demographic database. The reason being that
> implanting the demographics functionality within the gnumed window itself I
> feel becomes confusing.
I am not sure I understand this. We have *very* basic patient
demographics in the top panel which is shown at all times.
This information is IMO necessary to know which patient the
client is set to work on. I don't understand what you mean by
"implanting the demographics *functionality* within the gnumed
*window* itself" (emphasis mine) ?

>  Unfortunatley for some reason gmDemographics will
> not run within gnuMEd on my machine any more
It runs on mine after I fixed some things like 2 or 3 days
ago. I did work on the saving code a while back, broke it but
fixed it again - it seems to work here ? I may have to double
check but if you mail me a --debug log I might be wiser.

> > Or in other words since the current state isn't nowhere near
> > the (as yet undefined) state that you need GnuMed to be in to
> > use it (which is fine) we should switch tools and thereby a)
> > break existing installations and b) make it lots harder for
> > Debian people (unless I am mistaken) ?
> How come its harder for debian people.
If I am not mistaken Debian does not ship wxPython 2.5.

> No-one will using gnuMEd in a production sense for some time as far as I can
> tell.
I don't understand why you keep ignoring existing deployment.

> I"m using debian (though
> I do prefer ARCH) cause I couldn't get egenix to work on my ARCH box. I can
> still run 2.4 independantly from 2.5, so it shouldn't upset anything.
Sounds like I am wrong. Someone with better knowledge please
speak up on whether 2.4 is in stable or at the very least
testing ?

> Also,
> anyone currently playing around with gnuMed must have considered linux
> knowledge, otherwise they wouldn't have got the thing up and running in the
> first place.
They may not even run Linux. The installation that we use
doesn't. And they certainly don't have Linux knowledge. They
make us (eg. Sebastian and me) have the knowledge.

> Anyway, I'll try and do a toolbar for demographics in the next few days and
> mail it to you.

Thanks,
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net