[Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database

From: Omar Mouline
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 03:57:13 +1000

Hi all,

This message is addressed to all gnuMed members but especially to the administrator.

I'm a second year medical student at the University of Sydney, Australia. I came across your project while reading a classmate's article in the USyd Medical Journal. My clinical school is the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH), the main teaching hospital of Sydney Uni. I'm presently doing an option at the Vascular Lab, which does all the perioperative assessments for patients with vascular disease (deep venous thrombosis, cerebrovascular stroke, etc).
To get to the point:
Although the main wards have a state of the art network, some sections such as the Vascular Lab are grossly underfunded and still running win98 and some antiquated vascular database and are very unstable. Needless to say, it's been a nightmare to try and network the machines in the lab with the rest of the hospital and recently one month's worth of patient data was permanently lost. I'm also told that they haven't had a proper IT administrator for 2 years now! I should add that RPAH is non-profit public hospital, and home to some of the best professors of medicine and surgery in Australia and the world. It is a shame that they have to pay some ridiculous amount to get their Windows upgrade.
So my question to you guys is:
First, can gnuMed or some other open source database be adapted for use in the vascular lab? The present database is fairly simple with patient demographics, risk factors, indications, referring physician, procedure, post-op write-up, and other drop-list parameters. It is old and does not provide any statistical info (i.e. how many patients under 65 had a stroke this month and how many of those were stented). Second, do you think it's feasible to run Fedora or some other form of Linux on the Vasc Lab computer and network them seamlessly with the hospital's Windows server (I'll have to double check that but the ward terminals are running win2000). I should also mention that my first degree was in EE (control) from UC Santa Barbara, hence my interest in all things technical (I get to play with the doppler machines in the vasc lab). Programming is not my forte but I know some basic C. From browsing through your website, it seems Python is the way to go these days. Is that true for database as well?
BTW, do any of you live in Sydney?
That's it for now.
Thank you for your time.
Cheers.