Re: [Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:30:45 +1000

snip.... Omar, here is the realists opinion.

gnuMEd is a long long way from being usable or installable, especially on
mission critical things like you are indicating.

I'm interested in your currrent problems however.

 I've been running win98 + Access7.0 since, well, 1998 I guess, in mission
critical desktop medical records system. Its a complex database which complex
queries (eg up to 16 inner/outer joins may exist in one query taking upan A4
page of text - querying 10-15 normalised database tables (out of total of 120
tables) at the one time. The results are extremely quick and the database has
performs well.

Seems odd that you are getting problems. Usually the problem is that the
windows machine is acting as the file server. I used to have real problems
with my windows machines until I stated using a linux file server back at
e-smith 4, and virtually none since.

The expert on this list regarding linking the windows/linux machines is
probably Horst, who is a bit hard to catch, but if you ring me I'll give you
his surgery phone number (Dorrigo Medical Centre up northern NSW). I warn you
first however, that what is easy for him is almost impossibly difficult for
the rest of us.

Feel free to ring.

DR Richard Terry
Whitebridge Medical Centre
141 Dudley Rd
WHITEBRIDGE 2290
02 49436511

BTW I'm in Newcastle and get down to Sydney a fair bit so it you want to chat
you can either see me here, there or ring me at surgery on 02 49436511.

>....  database be adapted for use
> in the vascular lab?

 The present database is  fairly simple  with