Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and serv

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and services.
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:39:32 +1000

On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:40, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> caching the information from the reference database inside the
> clinical database - but only for those drugs that were ever
> used in a prescription and then only once for each. The
> actual *presription* table would then simply point to that
> "cache" table.
>
> This is in fact what Hilmar suggested we do in GNUmed and I do
> think it is a sensible approach.

It is a very sensible approach. Only that I took the blunt shortcut for my
quick hack gnumed-mini and store the lot with every single prescription,
Wasteful for sure, but was quick and easy to do.

> > I used to print via generating a KWord (or formerly Abiword) file, but
> > now I am really happy with the way printing works in wxPython 2.6.0, so
> > this weekend I port my printing modules to use wxPython routines
>
> Is LaTeX too slow ?

Not at all. But using wxPython's built in module reduces dependencies.
It also makes it easier to "set up printers" from within gnumed.
Don't think there is any measurable performance advantage.

Horst