Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Debian lenny required for client 0.2.8.10-1 ??

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Debian lenny required for client 0.2.8.10-1 ??
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:02:59 +0200

Tuesday 02 September 2008 19:21:07 Karsten Hilbert napisaƂ(a):

> > Requriing people to use testing is not a good solution

> Restricting ourselves to Stable is an even worse solution.

> GNUmed evolves too fast to rely on Stable features alone.

> Witness the flood of antique-Ubuntu bug reports -- and

> Ubuntu is releasing way earlier than Debian proper.

I use (K)Ubuntu for my gnumed testing/development.

In Ubuntu it should be fairly easy to have one stable package version in, say, 'backports' repository, with bugfix releases as 'recommended updates', and newest version in 'proposed' ('pre-release') updates. These are the options in my Adept package manager. The average user would have only 'recommended updates' active by default. If someone wants, he can enable 'pre-release updates' and get the newest version.

BTW: I think the dependencies need revision! This may need separate thread perhaps or a ticket at launchpad.

I can run a tarball with no problem, so I'm not missing any important packages. However, when checking dependencies for gnumed-client package (v. 0.2.8.2-1 in newest Ubuntu 8.04 ----------- I see why so many bug reports)

package manager wants to INSTALL following NEW PACKAGES:

gnumed-client gnumed-common gnumed-doc gnuplot gnuplot-nox gnuplot-x11

konsolekalendar libenchant1c2a libwxbase2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-0 python-enchant

python-gnuplot python-numeric python-wxgtk2.6

Except for gnumed-*, all others are not necessary to run Gnumed from tarball. Their usage depends on which modules are loaded. Maybe they should become 'recommended'?

Note python-wxgtk2.6. This can make problems. I have python-wxgtk installed - but newer version: 2.8. Installing older version is probably a bad idea in this case. The problem is that python-wxgtk2.6 and python-wxgtk2.8 are separate packages, not consequtive versions of the same package.

Jerzy Luszawski