[Gnumed-devel] Postgres installation and setup in lenny

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres installation and setup in lenny
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:54:44 -0700

When installing debian, selecting the option to install
   SQL database
installs postgresql software including the database server and seems also to install an unprivileged user account "postgres" although I did not yet find where that is documented.

However the installation of "SQL database" seems to create no directory
   /usr/local/pgsql

making me wonder if the above something normally needed to be done manually? The above would seem needed before
   /usr/local/pgsql/data
can be made as per instructions for initializing postgres at
   file:///usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-8.3/html/app-initdb.html

I do not mind the manual work... I am only just checking if it is any sign of a problem in what is supposed to have been "normal" postgres installation behaviour by tasksel.

Do I just go ahead and create it as root and then chown to belong to postgres?

One more question about where the gnumed data should "live" on a server... might we suggest, for consistency across deployments, any preferred place where the server would keep its gnumed data? Is
   /usr/local/pgsql/data
the most logical place to put it? Or will this directory "belong" to postgres, and would the gnumed data (at the system level) better belong to a gnumed system account like
   /home/gmadm/data
??