Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Postgres installation and setup in lenny

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Postgres installation and setup in lenny
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:26:14 +0200

> > One more question about where the gnumed data should "live" on a
> > server... might we suggest, for consistency across deployments, any
> > preferred place where the server would keep its gnumed data? Is
> >    /usr/local/pgsql/data
> > the most logical place to put it?
>
> Does initdb specify where *all* postgres data will live,

Initially, yes, but database admins have at least four options:

- tablespaces
- re-initdb someplace else and adjusting the data dir
- mounting disks into the data dir
- using symlinks to point the data dir somewhere else

Some admins may consider using tablespaces. GNUmed has direct support for
that in the bootstrapper. This may make sense if a table space is created on a
super-fast,
super-redundant, super-large or otherwise super-storage location.

A very select few may consider creating another cluster (re-initdb someplace
else, that is)
and running a second PG instance on that.

The other options work but are large guns pointed at everyone's feet. They can
create 9mm headaches.

> and if
> initdb likes to be run only once, and we wish gnumed data to live
> somewhere else, must we change the POSTGRES_DATA directive in
> postmaster.conf
Yes, but ...

> or do we just leave gnumed data with all other postgres data?
I would strongly suggest that for any "normal" install.