Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed in Section contents in Synaptic Package Ma

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed in Section contents in Synaptic Package Manager
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:36:26 +0200

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:11:58PM +0200, RKI Andreas wrote:

>>>   ~$ apt-cache --names-only search ^med- | wc -l
>>>   14
>>
>> Sure, but that assumes the user supplying the search term
>> knows that they "should" be searching for "med-". Why on
>> earth would they type the "-" ?
>
> It works as well without the '-' in the end.

Why of course, but "med" returns a lot of unrelated hits
(just think of all the ".*media.*" matches) while "med-"
does not. However, the user doesn't know that. And it's not
obvious why a user should search for "med-" (rather than,
say, the obvious "medi" or "medic") to narrow down the
search. IF the user knew the medical packages are to be
found tagged with "med-something" they *would* know to use
"med-" as the search term - but they don't know that.

> No.  The solution is that we should TELL users in a nice document
> what they should search ...

Joe User reading a document - which tells them what to
search for rather than what they actually want to know ?
Come on !

> Once we have a specific tasksel it might become even simpler ...
Now, THAT, or something similar (such as a synaptic
selection box "search for the following tags") will
indeed work.

Might there be sub tasks ?  A task in tasksel named
"Desktop" with subtasks "home" and "business", the latter
with subtasks "medical practice", "physics", ... ?

Where the task-subtask-... hierarchy is nothing but a file
specifying task-to-metapackage relationship ?  Or
task-to-tag_group.

On the more enjoyable side of things: I have successfully
lured one of our practice nurses onto Debian (for the time
being anyhow)  :-)   Her Windows 98 broke down, Knoppix
looked splendid and the Lenny Beta 2 Netinstall took
advantage of her cablemodem overnight ;-))

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net