Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Can�t change the dates of the encounters

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Can�t change the dates of the encounters
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 01:48:23 -0700

On 5-Sep-08, at 12:40 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Data in GNUmed links to two grouping principles:

 episode: this is the semantic grouping
 encounter: this is the chronological grouping

Encounter groups chronologically by date & time of the encounter, does it not, which means according to the date and time of the changes being written into the EMR. This permits a chronologically later encounter to record information about things that happened even before the previous encounter, and so while the *record* is chronological, the storyline of the patient illness becomes disrupted. This is what I meant when I indicated that encounters may need some second dimension of time (clinical "attributed" time) to permit a clinically-meaningful sort.

I recognize that there are multiple clinically-meaningful time perspectives:

- the timeline of the patient's illness, which is sometimes only figured out and pieced together after-the-fact - the timeline of any findings, which are sometimes only entered after-the-fact - the timeline of the recording of information, and of signing, and of any edits to these, in the EMR

Episodes, in addition to their top-level semantic grouping, also have (within their top-level) a chronologic order among episode which I expect is mangeable.

The challenge may be to display entries within episodes in clinical chronological order as opposed to when-entered-and-audited chronological order.

Does this well-capture the conundrum?