[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 08:20:00 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> a) People cannot always easily upgrade even when there's a new
Karsten> version available by the GNUmed team -- they will have to wait
Karsten> until a proper package is readied for their distribution. They
Karsten> *can* run a tarball locally but many people will not want that.

Right.

Karsten> b) We should limit ourselves as to what we do inside the
Karsten> exception handler.  There is no known application state at that
Karsten> point.  However, I will make the exception handler at least
Karsten> display if there is a newer client version available.

Exception handler should just produce correct version info so that
triage can be done.

Nicely organized tracker gives opportunity to non-core devs to help
putting the bugs in proper perspective - you know about bug squashing
days, doing triage etc.

Karsten> I tend to agree. However it is a bit hard to be fair
Karsten> here. Currently we still know who is in production and who
Karsten> isn't. Should that happen to get out of bounds I do believe
Karsten> there's a business model to be had.

See my reply to James.

If the bug is found in released version which is the ONLY version
supposed to be run in production - otherwise devs cannot give you any
guarantee - then it has to be fixed according to bug's 'natural'
priority assigned in the tracker, i.e. no need for special business
model.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D