[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:42:53 +0200

>>>>> "James" == James Busser <address@hidden> writes:

James> There is a problem when one hopes to contribute a bit of work
James> from a locked-down unowned (e.g. hospital) machine... some of
James> them will not accept USB sticks and, even if they did, I alsways
James> find a risk of leaving it behind or untended when called away or
James> having to move around the hospital.

I must admit that You (doctors) have weird constraints :-)

What is the difference of leaving wiki page unattended or USB stick?

James> Typically on such machines, even if you did have some local
James> "write" ability, you would not be able to sync that diskspace nor
James> be allowed to access it from outside the institution. This
James> reduces the contributor to having to record it somewhere via the
James> web, which purpose the wiki serves.

Well, if you have Internet connection to write to the wiki, then you can
use something like rsync to sync to some web space or, as last resort,
email your contribution to yourself (don't tell me you don't have Gmail
- I have some free Gmail-invites for those who need it) ;)

James> If there is a tool that can pull from the wiki, all the
James> better. Ideally we might define either an internal wiki page, or
James> an external template, in which the wiki pages of interest can be
James> specified, and those could get "pulled" (with their wiki syntax
James> converted) into some other form.

My standpoint is that wiki might be OK for short notes but not for the
full manual and, to accept your tactic, I do not have anything against
it if someone volunteer to 'pull' (somehow) from the wiki and merge into
reST sources under DVCS :-)

James> There is presently at least one tool of possible value (below)
James> but only for limited purposes (PDF)...

For high-quality pdf, better forget those.

James> I am happy to look at ways to contribute to a
James> manual but the wiki does serve many useful purposes at least at
James> this early stage.

Early stage?

Hmm, GNUmed is not so new application ;)

James> At the same time I agree that something that did not need to be
James> online would be worth developing, if we are being optimistic to
James> make GNUmed even more future-usable.

Good.

If you are ready to work on reST manual, pls. let me know...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D