[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:24:14 +0200

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Sebastian> 1.) Gour will set up all that is required on his machine

OK. I'll install sphinx to make a demo-manual.

Sebastian> 2.)  Gour prposed to be repsonsible for the rlease manual

Not alone. I propose that we form a 'doc-team'.

Sebastian> 3.)  Karsten and Jim will contribute thoughts and Info as
Sebastian> always to the Wiki

OK.

Sebastian> Karsten, Jim and Gour will contribute to the documentation in
Sebastian> their preferred way. Gour will then periodically take that
Sebastian> info from various sources and publish a manual. That way
Sebastian> contributors and readers (we have 50 unique users subscribed
Sebastian> to the Wiki) can follow there preferred style and we can have
Sebastian> nice release documentation in one hand prepared by Gour.

Oops...it's not like that.

I proposed that we work on the manual via reST files and wrote:

"For the beginning, I am humbly asking you to work on the manual's
outline (being in Haskell, I'm top-bottom guy) and write it down - based
on current wiki docs.

Then, I'll convert it to reST and prepare for sphinx generation.

Karsten - see http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/trunk/doc/Makefile

We can have cron job on the server to automatically invoke sphinx and
generate up-to-date docs (including Karsten's night-shift-notes) in HTML
as well as printable/offline PDF with a button to download it."

and in later post:

"My standpoint is that wiki might be OK for short notes but not for the
full manual and, to accept your tactic, I do not have anything against
it if someone volunteer to 'pull' (somehow) from the wiki and merge into
reST sources under DVCS :-)
"

So, I can prepare technology for automatic generation of docs in sphinx
From the reST files and do initial conversion from the present wiki to
reST.

If you want to continue writing in twiki however, then, of course, it
does not make sense to do twiki --> reST conversion all the time

IOW, my proposal is to have doc-files in reST under VCS (instead of
html) and generate online (and offline) docs with sphinx - both HTML for
web-site use and PDF for offline use.

Sphinx can even generate Windows HTML Help to be included in installer.

It means that docs which should not be part of the manual and some
additional stuff can be still content of the web site in addition with
generated HTML.

Sebastian> That should improve that quality I think we all agree without
Sebastian> forcing anyone to change anything.

Well some change is required - maybe not much if that James's reST
plugin can work with twiki.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D