Re: [Gnumed-devel] Journal performance question

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Journal performance question
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:50:30 +0200

> Over the course of years, a patient could easily accumulate > 1,000
> clinical narrative rows

1000 rows is not even worth mentioning

> Would the querying involved in such a build of the patient's Journal
> cost a lot of time and traffic?
traffic, no, time, not tested yet

> It would seem to me that if the EMR tree (to the level of Issues and
> Episodes) and Progress notes can be quickly built without requiring
> that the entirety of clin_narrative having to be queried, would this
> be any advantage?

premature optimisation, also getting data for the tree and getting data for the
journal
are two different things query-wise. which one is slow ?

> Or is the table already indexed on the patient  unique key

and a couple more columns, like fk_encounter or fk_episode or soap_cat

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger