Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed_ISO_13485

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed_ISO_13485
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:43:36 -0700

Applications to get patient management software certified as meeting a quality standard seem to need a company name and address.

What I wrote on the wiki in terms of  Planning, Operation and Control is:

Preamble: While an occasional Free / Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) project is commercially-owned, the present one is owned by its historical contributors under a relationship that is inconstant over time. Traditional business constructs including corporate entity, executive branches, departments, human resource managers, job descriptions, employer-employee relationships and reporting relationships are impractical and inapplicable. Moreover no contractual relationship exists either among the project owners or between the project owners and those who would use the software.

Practically-speaking though, it may be inescapable to need to offer some identifying information on the application form.

For "Company name" I was thinking to put

(voluntary project organization) GNUmed.org

For "Address", the web site gnumed.org *currently* lists

Sebastian Hilbert
Zum Kleingartenpark 33d
04318 Leipzig
Telefon: +49 (0) 341 234 9793
Telefax: +49 (0) 12125 11801273
E-Mail: address@hidden

but alternatively the software itself resides at Savannah and is therefore the geographic place from which the business of managing and obtaining the software is being done so I *could* put the WHOIS which offers a Free Software Foundation address, however I should not do so without first talking to them about it.

Shall I ask the FSF for their suggestions as to how I would get this handled? I understand that they might offer some general guidance given they have developed an expertise in avoiding and managing legal problems.