Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:47:43 -0700

On 2009-10-29, at 12:39 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

What column will this be?

        clin.substance_intake.is_long_term

Is it better boolean as above or would it be better to be categorical

        clin.substance_intake.category

        values {short-term, long-term, NULL} default = NULL

Also in this table, I wondered for a moment I wondered whether .duration could take either an interval-based value (when known exactly) or when not known exactly could take the value of short- term or long-term

I suspect the data type "interval" would allow only a time-based value therefore it would have to be some other field.

That would beg the question as to any conceptual +- programmatic interaction with duration?

IOW:

if duration is null, the category of medication could be short-term or long-term

if the medication category is long-term, does that mean the duration should be nulled?

do we acknowledge potential ambiguity between
        duration as "intended"
        duration as "elapsed time since started .clin_when"
duration as 'how long did they take it, if they stopped on or before today"

if a duration is specified and is understood to mean "as intended or post-hoc actual", should a specified duration be construed to mean short-term, or maybe still the medication could be intended as long- term with the duration used to pre-specify a plan of reassessment?

If the latter, then there would be neither conceptual nor programmatic linkage between duration and category, and the meaning of duration should be clarified to be

Intended duration of use (whether total, or until reassessment), or actual duration if stopped, if known