Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:16:05 +0100

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 05:48:00AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:

> >> No, it's all on the same machine.
> This is probably the largest technical problem, I'm wondering if you
> can put a vm on something like Amazon EC ?

The current feeling on the PG lists about Amazon EC and its
ilk is that the "disk service" is too unreliable and too
slow for running databases. Also when you shutdown the VM
the "disk space" goes away - no more public DB.

> This is a paid service, but you only pay for what you use.

Yep, and we'd be using it always.

> > Apart from that any number of companies could do business with that
> > foundation
> > or take the code and do whatever they please. All this is taken care of for
> > us
> > by the GPL.
>
> Interestingly you as copyright holders are responsible for enforcing the GPL.
> "Taken care of by the GPL" suggests an active entity will take care of it.

While your first statement is true there's still a few other
enitities out there engaging in the affairs of enforcing the
GPL, even if sometimes in behalf of the actual copyright
holders. They've won pretty much all their cases so far.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net