Re: [Gnumed-devel] estimated dob

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] estimated dob
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:37:56 +0000

On 2012-01-22, at 2:03 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Well, so just enter a DOB which is
>
>       about 1 month
>
>       about 3 months
>
>       about 6 months
>
> back in time ??  I mean, this should be acceptably hard to
> establish, no ?
>
> You can *still* set the .estimated flag.

Vaibhav seemed to be asking for a field which excuses the staff from having to
back-calculate an approximate date of birth.

A legitimate counter-proposal can establish that an EMR expects a certain
lowest common denominator in the user of the EMR.

Maybe the lowest common denominator for a staff person to operate GNUmed is
proposed to be

- adequate vision (native or corrected or computer-assisted)
- adequate capacity to operate an input device (keyboard, mouse)
- adequate capacity to function in the primary language of the praxis,
including spelling
- knowledge of number of days of each month in the year, and the month names
- ability to calculate date of birth from age

        example:

        current age = 69 with no date of birth known

        ==>     date of birth (estimated) = January 1, [2012-69]
                and remember to set the estimated flag

-- Jim