[Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - easily finding w

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - easily finding what we want to see
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:06:43 +0000

It appears that most EMRs provide

- a grid viewer, and
- some other viewer which lists test that the patient has had

and a common theme among doctors seems to be

1) if patient Jane Doe with joint pains comes into the office and demands that
she have an Antinuclear Antibody, Homocysteine Level, Factor V Leiden and
Complement C3 test done, how do we check if these tests have been done already,
other than manually scanning through all the individual labs in the database

--> some of this GNUmed can achieve with "Panels"
--> I only wonder whether we can also have it that

        - Spotlight can in future accept to work on either a profile or a
*single* lab test (or meta type)
        - Meta-types, profiles and individual lab tests should perhaps not be
allowed to have the same name?

2) how to graph results across a meta type including across a change of lab
units etc

--> GNUmed future

-- Jim

PS -- Oscar appears to have built their original tables to exactly import lab
results (as supplied by the labs) which maybe explains why they later added
measurements as a separate concept and to bridge the two have invented
'mapping' which, unless I understand it, may borrow some of the same 'tags' as
they use to populate their forms (in GNUmed, the analogy would be placeholders)

http://www.oscarmanual.org/oscar_emr_12/clinical-functions/e-forms/eform-magic

 to auto-copy lab results of interest from their lab results tables to their
Measurements table.