Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - easily findi

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - easily finding what we want to see
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:05:56 +0000

On 2013-07-16, at 5:06 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) if patient Jane Doe with joint pains comes into the office and demands
> that she have an Antinuclear Antibody, Homocysteine Level, Factor V Leiden
> and Complement C3 test done, how do we check if these tests have been done
> already, other than manually scanning through all the individual labs in the
> database
>
> --> some of this GNUmed can achieve with "Panels"
> --> I only wonder whether we can also have it that
>
>       - Spotlight can in future accept to work on either a profile or a
> *single* lab test (or meta type)
>       - Meta-types, profiles and individual lab tests should perhaps not be
> allowed to have the same name?

I have only any limited sense of how hard wish lists might be to implement.

If it would be challenging for the measurement "spotlight" function to dually
handle panels AND individual test types (let alone meta test types), would it
be easier if each test_type, upon creation, would auto-spawn an
identically-named value in the panels?

I only am not sure how we would resolve, in the spotlight, duplicated names in
description within

        test_type

and likewise in

        test_panel

and am not sure that permitting duplicate names in these tables is a good idea.
While I know that the backend can maintain proper integrity of relationships
after the user has made correct selections, I am concerned that it could be too
easy for a user to select the incorrect measurement from among a set of
duplicate names.

Should there, at least, be a constraint that any one lab cannot have duplicates
of the same-named test type? That way, users could select from among
identically-named tests guided by awareness of the identifiable lab from which
the test_type is being selected. ??

-- Jim