gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] introduction and gnuspeech questions

From: Eric Zoerner
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] introduction and gnuspeech questions
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:05:44 +0000

I am looking at gnuspeech and am considering getting involved in the porting and/or development effort. I am a postgraduate student at Trinity College, Dublin, doing a PhD in speech science. I have 17 years of commercial software engineering experience working in Smalltalk, Java, C/C++, et. al. on Unix/Linux and Mac platforms. I am potentially interested in working with gnuspeech to explore voice control in speech synthesis as my dissertation topic. I am being funded to do speech synthesis for the Irish language. While the primary effort at this point is for a unit concatenative voice, I may also investigate what it would take to add synthesis for Irish to gnuspeech.

I have not yet downloaded the software from the cvs repository, but have been reading some of the documentation. I have just a couple of questions at this point for the development team. The platform I would be interested in running gnuspeech on and doing development on is Mac OS/X Tiger.

Questions:
- is it possible to generate audio output from gnuspeech on Mac OS/X at this point? - Are there any sound files available that give samples of the speech output? - Is it still possible to get the software/hardware necessary to run the full suite of gnuspeech (i.e. NEXTstep?)?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Eric Zoerner
School of Linguistic,  Speech and Communication Sciences
Trinity College Dublin