Re: apache.make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: apache.make
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:12:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Helge,

> This way we would just have a single Apache module capable of loading
> different NSBundle's containing the 'real' Apache handler. IMHO this
> would be much better and consistent with Foundation.

I am not very sure how this would cope with Apache's dynamic loading of
Apache modules - but you probably know so I trust you it can be done. :-)

> (very much like mod_cgi, only that we forward to the ObjC class instead
> of forking processes).

Ah - this looks different to me - it would be something I would call
`Objective-C servlets'.  Like a CGI, a servlet can only process requests.
A generic Apache module can instead interfere quite deeply inside the
server, which a CGI or a servlet can't do.  I think, as you seem say - if
I understood you well -, that a bundle would be a very appropriate way to
implement an Objective-C servlet.

I think Objc servlets (or even Objc API for modules) would be good - but I
like the idea of having a very generic apache.make which can be used by
anybody to implement their own strange and complex interaction
GNUstep/Apache.  We can build more advanced API on top on this without
eliminating the possibility or reusing apache.make for other projects.

My idea of the thing at this point is approximately as follows:

 1 <TODO> an Apache module written in pure C which can set up the
   environment for GNUstep reading the gnustep root path from a config
   directive.  This could be useful in its own, for example if you want to
   write Java servlets which use GNUstep through JIGS, you could use this
   module to cleanly set up the environment;

 2 apache.make allows to write extremely general Apache modules using
   Objective-C and linking with GNUstep.  This is completely standalone.
   You could even use this without the module 1 if you want (would be
   unrecommended) - then you need to hack up your environment before
   starting Apache.

 3 using apache.make, we can develop any sort of modules - supporting
   servlets, extension stuff, loading bundles, ObjC modules API, whatever.
   This area is fascinating :-) for me but I'd like to clean up steps 1
   and 2 before even touching 3.

Helge, does this plan satisfy you ?  Something important I missed ?

Any other comments/suggestions ?