Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:39:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi Ovidiu,

sorry for answering late ... and welcome back to this list :-)

> Nicola,
>
> What is the status for garbage collection support in gstep-base today?

I think Richard mostly answered this question.

I admit I never tried using it - laziness maybe.  I think if GCC's own gc
library was used, then GCC could always build both libobjc.so and
libobjc_gc.so inside GCC, so everyone would have both installed and maybe
people would be more encouraged to try it out.

But I'd like to try it out, and set everything up properly from
gnustep-make up so that it can be used easily (see my other post on this
topic).  Currently I think you can't have both non-GC and GC gnustep
installed, which sort of makes it more difficult to try it out.

> The GNU Objective-C runtime, libFoundation and gstep-db have support
> for Boehm's conservative garbage collector for a long time now. It
> should be possible to follow the same approach to add support in the
> base and GUI libraries as well.
>
> I think it would definitely help a lot if automatic garbage collection
> works out of the box with all the GNUstep libraries.

Sure.