Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:45:55 +0200

To pick up an earlier thread ...

Am Montag den, 13. Mai 2002, um 13:58, schrieb Nicola Pero:

Maybe it's a little bit off-topic or already discussed to death,
but what is the intended use/advantage of Garbage Collection in
GNUstep?

Well ... that it is a great feature :-)

I am very happy with manual management of objects and memory, but it's a fact that some people prefer automatic garbage collection. I suppose it's
a matter of taste.

Not to offend you, but argumenting like this is asking for bloat and trouble, IMHO.

Each time you have two similar mechanisms for a goal, one of them is obsolete.

It doesn't really mean you
must use garbage collecting in your programs ... but that you can use it.

... and you have to learn how it works and how it mixes with the other shemes because you want to be able to read and use other's code.

What if I retain a to-be-garbage-collected object? Can I release it? Or do I have to look into the object's docs to find out what to do?

One of the most difficult and confusing things at
the beginning is memory management (reference counting, autorelease pools
etc).  Not that it is terribly difficult, but looks like most of the
questions and errors and problems that people starting using gnustep have
are related to memory management.

This is right. How about enhancing the debugging mechanisms around NSZombie, -retainCount etc. ?

Would have been quite helpful for me to "see" how the retain count raises and lowers when working with objects. Unfortunately, asking a -retainCount just gave me a SIGSEGV in my first Cocoa steps as the object were already released. About NSZombie I learned later. Two thing which could be improved.

That's my € 0.02,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/