Re: CVS Spring Cleaning Ancient versions libs in GNUstep CVS

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: CVS Spring Cleaning Ancient versions libs in GNUstep CVS
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:23:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Alex Perez wrote:
> >
> > (A) core/dgs/[jpeg|png|tiff|zlib] - unused and all from 1996-nearly 6MB
> Fine.
>
> > (B) core/dgs/dgs/gs - ancient GhostScript code -- 10MB as far as I can
> > tell, this is just GS code and contains no DPS code at all....
> Well, DPS is mostly just GS code.
>
> > (C) *POSSIBLY* dgs/fonts, which contains a bunch of old .pfb, .pfm,
> > and .afm PostScript fonts -- 2.5MB worth
> >
> > In total, this would remove 18.5MB of old antiquated stuff which
> > nobody is using. Does anyone have any objections to this at all? I
> > realize this stuff is not in core, but surely it doesn't need to be
> > kept around forever.
>
> Basically, all of dgs is obsolete.
>
> But, FYI, you could just move all these files to the Attic, you can't
> really delete them - only the gnu.org admin can do that and they're
> averse to removing CVS stuff directly from the repositories - that's
> what CVS is for anyway.

I agree with Adam.  It should be put into the attic so that we have history,
but that it's not included in future releases.  This is precisely what CVS is
for.  We shouldn't delete it, but we should make it so that future releases
don't have it.

DGS isn't used anymore and I really don't believe that, now that even Apple has
moved away from DPS, that we need to worry about implementing it as there are
significant technical issues with finishing it (IIRC, it was something about
multiple DPS contexts).

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.