Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:22:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Mer 26 octobre 2005 20:32, Nicolas Roard wrote:
> On 10/26/05, Fabien VALLON <address@hidden> wrote:

>> You will never release GNUstep if you follow Apple.

> Of course, I didn't advocate to hold GNUstep until we're 100%
> compatible with current Cocoa.. I was merely pointing that "OpenStep"
> compliance is not really relevant today.

It is.
Do you think that glib ( gnome ) is better than Foundation
As well documented, and constant ....
Ditto for gtk ?

Do we need to be bloat as Java-SWING to release something ?

There is lot of nice app based on OpenStep implementations.
And GNUstep already have lot of Apple extensions !

> Well, my wording was perhaps not right; what I meant is, you can't
> boast a lot on OpenStep compliance when releasing a 1.0 when this
> actually has very little importance for most of the people -- it's
> counter-productive if you want to attract people.

You will never attract people because you will never release something.

Cocoa dev don't care about GNUstep if it does not work on Windows
( I completly agree with greg Casamento on that )
I think GNUstep can release seomething every 6 months with true goals

I just sugest:

1- 1.0 == "OpenStep compliant" on Linux/BSD/Cups/XFree
2- 1.X ( or 2.0 ) ==  "OpenStep compliant" on Windows too
( it is already lot of work : NSWorkspace=>ie.exe ( integration ) /
backend /  Themes more or less Windows compliant ( Camaleon ? ) / Windows
menu style ..... )
3- 2.X ( or 3.0 ) == "Cocoa ( Panther ) compliant" with nib loading xCode
project loading etc etc.....

Developers need to have a real Roadmap with a TODO list for each release.
I think they can even have intemediate release between (1) and (2)
- ex :
 1.2 Themes engine ( with a Windows theme engine )
 1.4 Backend working + Windows menu style ( with nice screenshots :)
 1.6 NSWokspace / ie.exe integration ( + help + printing ? ) ....
and so on ...

This means more noise for other developpers  ( to attract people )

And more "short" goal for GNUstep developpers ( this is the current state,
this is where we go .... )
I think it is less frustating.

Fabien