Re: Advertisement for gnustep

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Advertisement for gnustep
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:33:22 +0200

On 10.09.2006, at 13:03, Nicola Pero wrote:

Can we advertise ObjC + GNUstep as a 'truly free' replacement for Java ?
That would be fun. ;-)

Not really, since you can perfectly develop highly complex multi- platform GUI apps in Java, whereas this is far from realistic with GNUstep, I am afraid.

Personally I would integrate Etoilé into GNUstep (granted the authors agree), update the GNUstep website to reflect this new "GNUstep paradigm" ("GNUstep" being a GNU desktop for X11 based Unices) and then advertise this as "GNUstep Alpha" or so (the frameworks/ libraries can still be used as cross-platform API, of course).

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip