Re: question to backend/gui guru...

From: xavier . glattard
Subject: Re: question to backend/gui guru...
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:59:20 +0200

Selon Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>:

> I would agree with Adams answer, go for a dummy graphics backend.
> Perhaps we could even rewrite the back makefile to have gsc usable as such?
> As I understand it you will need a window, or rather event server based
> on SDL. Put that into back and perhaps somebody may later add code to
> make this a full backend. I love to see huge things being build up by
> people only requiring small parts of it.
>
> Fred
>
> Adam Fedor schrieb:
> > As long as you don't call [NSApplication sharedApplication] (or, in
> > fact, initialize NSApplication at all), you can use classes in the gui
> > without a backend.  But you have to be careful not to use any
> > classes/methods that cause any display or drawing.  Also you could
> > create a dummy backend (something like gsc in gnustep-back). That does
> > nothing or does what you want it (see documentation for GSDisplayServer
> > and NSGraphicsContext).

I take some time to look inside NSApplication code. This class highly depends
on graphic display. It seems to me that it would be easier to write a
SDLApplication class with a partial NS-like interface, and then use the only
AppKit classes that dont need any display output (not so easy to find :-\ )
And i will follow your advice and create a scaledown SDL backend that will
only handle events.
I might also need a SDLWindow class (singleton!) to receive window specific
events (iconify, expose...), and maybe a SDLOpenGLView class...

I have look at OOlite (thanks Markus !). They dont use NSApplication but they
have created a GameController class based on SDL and other SDL companion libs.
I think they dont use much of AppKit.

Thanks again for your help

Xavier