Re: Advertisement for gnustep

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Advertisement for gnustep
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:49:48 +0200

Hey,

On Sunday, September 10, 2006, at 02:33 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Personally I would integrate Etoilé into GNUstep (granted the authors agree), update the GNUstep website to reflect this new "GNUstep paradigm" ("GNUstep" being a GNU desktop for X11 based Unices) and then advertise this as "GNUstep Alpha" or so (the frameworks/ libraries can still be used as cross-platform API, of course).

I would not integrate etoile' at all!
also the new website should advertise the new paradigm, but not forget the old one, which remains perfectly valid.

Also, gnustep... starts to be a bit usable on windows... several programs work reasonably well. This is a very nice thing and goes beyond the "DE scope"

Tos um up, I would definitively accept advertising, we need that, but care has to be taken in what to advertise. I would NOT use the term Desktop Environment AT ALL. It is something too closely related to GNOME, KDE. As I mentioned earlier, many people would fail to accept older macos 10.0/10.1 or even MS windows 2000 as a viable DE.

my personal idea, very vaguely, would be to stress
-overall user experience ("hinting at a desktop with other terms) and thus pointing at our unusual but interesting UI style (not just the widgets, the programs them selves) -the ease of coding and developing (even in NeXT time this was a major seller)

On the website itself, I would put a better emphasis on related projects like backbone, GAP and etoile, but would not mention them in our advertising.

the ideas here are by no means complete!

-R