Re: GSoC participant

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: GSoC participant
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:40:13 -0400

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:32:20 +0200 (CEST), "Nicola Pero" <address@hidden> said:

>> Well. let's start simpler. Use WindowMaker. "official" windowmanager.
>> Set it to have OpenStep behaviour. You still have focus problems. SO
>> before accomodating "foreign" stuff, the standard neets to work
>> reliably. Let's not confuse Hubert.

> Starting simple/specific is always a good idea :-)

> But because of the wildly different behaviours of different desktop
> environments, fixing the GNUstep focus behaviour with one environment
> could mean breaking it with another environment.

Riccardo and Nicola, thanks for your advice.  At this point, it sounds
like the best thing for me to do, when I get started on the project, is
to just gather all the window focusing issues that people have
encountered, and then prioritize them somehow.  Part of that "somehow"
will include considering whether it happens in WindowMaker.  (It looks
like I'll be learning *a lot* about X11 programming this summer.)

It sounds like there's a lot of experience on this list, so I'll
probably end up asking for advice from the list (in addition, of course,
to getting advice from Fred).  And I'll try to keep the list informed on
what I'm doing.

Just to let everyone know, I'm going to be busy working heavily on my
thesis for the next week or two, so I'll hardly be spending any time
thinking about this project.  But after that, I'll start gathering
information.

Hubert