Re: -lpthread

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: -lpthread
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:47:15 +0100

On 3 Jun 2008, at 17:25, David Chisnall wrote:

If it helps, I am on FreeBSD, but I have had other users report the same issue on Ubuntu.

Looking at configure.ac in gnustep-make, it appears that, unless the -- with-thread-lib= command-line argument is used to explicitly override normal behavior, -pthread is only used on freebsd ... so I don't see how anyone could have a problem with -pthread on Ubuntu.

On free bsd, it tries to check that the objc runtime thread support works using first -pthread, then -lpthread, then -lpcthread

What happens for you if you hack gnustep-make's configure.ac (and run autoconf to generate a new configure script) so that in the freebsd case it tests for -lpthread before it tests for -pthread ? You could also see if '-pthread -lpthread' works... perhaps changing gnustep-make to try that instead of just '-pthread' would solve your problem.