Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:42:57 +0100

Hi Xavier,

Does GAP stand for "Application project" ? Does that mean that any GNUstep/Cocoa based project could be submitted ? And not only GNUstep specific.
- new 3DKit
- multiplatform OpenGL extensions API (glu-like)
- multiplatform HID API : joystick...
Or any graphic or gaming related project in which some students will surely be interested.

Well GAP stands for GNUstep Application Project. So The focus is GNUstep, not just any application. We strive to be cross-platform with Cocoa though and have several applications ported from OpenStep or Cocoa as well as ported to them.

Currenly GAP has a lot of applications, several of them never announced because they are far from complete. My biggest interest would be to finish them off, but this is of course not so interesting for a student. The only exception might be FlexiSheet.

A project could be: take application X and port it to gnustep.
Another one could be: write one from scratch.

If the app interests me but, more importantly, it is in a field I understand I could even offer myself for mentoring. Currently I do not have enough time even to make a proper project proposal, but that should get better soon.

Instead of Games, I think user application, office appplication, developer applications and system tools are far more important (but maybe less cool for students).

Some open source Cocoa applications might be ported to GNUstep:
- Vim GUI : two cocoa-based gui projects already exist
- Mozilla Gecko : many cocoa projects
- OpenOffice : released some week ago
- VLC
- NetHack3D
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaOpen
http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/apps?sub=100&t=1&s=on
Out of personal interest, Vim on GNUstep would be excellent :)

OpenOffice is a big project, but that would be very very interesting!

Riccardo