Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:03:51 +0100

Hi,

Riccardo Mottola a écrit :
Hi Xavier,

Does GAP stand for "Application project" ? Does that mean that any GNUstep/Cocoa based project could be submitted ? And not only GNUstep specific.
- new 3DKit
- multiplatform OpenGL extensions API (glu-like)
- multiplatform HID API : joystick...
Or any graphic or gaming related project in which some students will surely be interested.

Well GAP stands for GNUstep Application Project. So The focus is GNUstep, not just any application. We strive to be cross-platform with Cocoa though and have several applications ported /from/ OpenStep or Cocoa as well as ported /to/ them.

Currenly GAP has a lot of applications, several of them never announced because they are far from complete. My biggest interest would be to finish them off, but this is of course not so interesting for a student. The only exception might be FlexiSheet.

A project could be: take application X and port it to gnustep.
Another one could be: write one from scratch.
(...)
Instead of Games, I think user application, office appplication, developer applications and system tools are far more important (but maybe less cool for students).
(...)

Of course, theses projects would be x-Step based.
I thought of some simple projects and some more difficult ones.

I dont think we should spend many time on dead or forgotten apps, like Flexisheet. A GNUstep gui would be fine, but would die soon because of the lack of an application maintainer. That would also occur in th case of an application written from scratch.

IMHO OpenOffice for GNUstep might be more promising than FlexiSheet, despite OpenOffice is not a so good application. Gnumeric (Gnome) or KSpread (KDE) might also be good candidates, even if only the core engine is used.

But I agree with you : a good x-Step based speadsheet would be more interesting than any classic spreadsheet port ;)

-- Xavier