Re: Jenkins set up for GNUstep...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Jenkins set up for GNUstep...
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:36:09 -0400

Fred,

I'm not certain how to compare it to Adam's old system since I wasn't
intimately familiar with it.

Jenkins is a continuous integration system.   It checks out and builds
the source periodically and reports any errors back to either the
users who broke the build or to a given email address.  I selected the
gnustep-dev list because it seemed the most logical choice.  I can
change this so that it only sends it to me and a few others.
Nevertheless I would like it to notify more than just me in case of a
failure.   It is, in fact, supposed to be a little annoying so that
people are inspired to fix it when it breaks. ;)   The way I have it
configured right now is that it will ONLY notify the list if there is
a failure; it should be silent otherwise.

The website for Jenkins is here: http://jenkins-ci.org/

Jenkins is written in Java and can run on pretty much any platform we
currently support.

I noticed that you made all of the tests in gui as dashed hopes.
That's fine.    What I thought would be best, and I was going to check
with you and Richard on this, is to add the tests for base first and
then we could work on fleshing out the tests for gui a bit more and,
when we're confident, we can add them to the jenkins build as well.

I'm not sure how much good our testing framework does for us on GUI,
though since, while it's easy to test Foundation/base with it, it's
not very easy to test AppKit/gui.   There's too much which depends on
the eye and determining if it "looks" right in GUI.

Later, GC