Re: side projects and sub projects

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: side projects and sub projects
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:04:25 +0100

Hi Richard,

On 02/28/16 15:21, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
There are a lot of ways someone can volunteer (particularly when looking at a
side/sub project as a whole, rather than a small issue within it);

administration and leadership (communicating and supporting other people in a
team and even bringing in new people)
techical development (the obvious;  but we shouldn't let people get away with
saying they can't contribute because they don't code)
formal testing (real commitment to rapid turnaround of real testing, not just
occasionally trying out an app)
documentation/publicity (software developers are rarely good at this)
finance (if you can't contribute anything else, you might be able to pay
someone else to do so)

Unfortunately, if people want something but can't actually cooperate to make it
happen, there's not a lot of point offering to support it.

there is little to add to this! perfectly.
It is important that "coding" is not the only thing to do, other actions are important too. Bug reporting (but as you write, not just simple reports, but proper errors, with testing of fixes until a temporary or real solution is found) as well as documentation are important.

Said this I want to add: rather than changing CSS of our documentation or redo all its coding, it would be much better to complete our documentation. We still have a lot of undocumented functions as well as we don't have properly reported which version a function was added, etc.

There are some things gsdoc doesn't parse properly. But Svetlana's idea of off-line Doc could mean it would be nice instead of just HTML (which I love being simple since SWK is close enough that with some improvement could display it) we could have TEX and/or PDF and RTF.

Just my 2c

Riccardo