Re: gnustep-back font display broken on cairo

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep-back font display broken on cairo
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 23:48:12 +0200

Hi Fred,

On 8/2/19 6:06 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:
I would not like to revert this change even though I agree with you that pull requests
this big are bad. The overall changes here are good and in most cases we see no issues
with them. As for your specific setting, did you try to run with the property
"GSFontHinting" set to the value 17? This should switch back to the old
behaviour for font hinting. If this does not help you should try to revert part of the
changes. This is easier as it seems. Most of the changes in this pull request deal with
font names and weights. That is irrelevant for the font displaying and you may just
ignore those changes. Which leaves you with less than a handful of interesting changes to
look into.

That is currently all I can say as I am away from my computer.

if I set the value to 17, Ink will hang when I open the "test" file I prepared (but not other files).

Of course, not only Ink, other applications will hang... e.g. GNUMail when displaying a Mail.

Riccardo