Re: Embedded blocks...

From: Jordan Schidlowsky
Subject: Re: Embedded blocks...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 12:22:54 -0600

On Oct 31, 2019, at 2:47 PM, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:

This is an exaggeration.  I fixed a bug in SOPE on SuperH just a few
months ago.  Over the years, I recall fixes in GNUstep core libraries
on HP-PA, GNU/Hurd and GNU/kFreeBSD, to name a few.  And non-core
packages on sparc, ppc, ppc64, powerpcspe and m68k.  GNUstep aims for
portability and this is closely related with code quality.  Once you
start dropping targets for no good reason you can expect regressions
in quality here and there, and more effort when the need to support a
new architecture arises.

Aren't all the listed architectures actually already supported in the latest llvm backend?  sparc, ppc, ppc64, powerpcspe and m68k all seem supported no?  I don't know if moving to clang would actually mean dropping support for these archs...

Also, i dunno, but I think when a new architecture arises it may actually be easier to support it in llvm in the future...  I don't know why this would be more effort in clang than any other compiler.  In theory it should be less, cause it should be mostly llvm backend work.