gnuzilla-dev

Re: Preliminary 'wip-78' branch pushed to Savannah.

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Preliminary 'wip-78' branch pushed to Savannah.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 18:48:21 -0400

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Earlier, I wrote:
>
>> * Google is the default search engine, despite the changes made in
>>   "data/patches/default-search-duckduckgo.patch".
>
> FYI, I pushed a fix for this problem to the 'wip-78' branch.

Thank you, Mark.

I should point out that setting "browser.search.modernConfig" to false
does not seem to be a future-proof solution: per [0], Mozilla recently
dropped support for it, which means it will most likely not be available
in the next ESR release.

[0]: Remove legacy search configuration code and the preference
     (modernConfig = false): <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1619926>

I did some digging and found the meta issue for this [1], but I have not
had a close enough look at it to know concretely how the new mechanism
works and how we are to dance to make it happy.

[1]: [meta] Modernize the search engine configuration and its
     management: <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1542235>